Monday, December 8, 2014

TRI University: Why Am I Here?

TRI University began with some speakers to remind of us why we were all there. I'm really glad they did this because I had begun to forget the real reason that I signed up to do the triathlon through Team in Training. I was getting so caught up in the excitement of beginning training and making sure I had all of the equipment necessary, that it became more about the actual race, and less about the philanthropy involved throughout the training journey.

One speaker was a young, healthy looking, athletic British man. He looked like a runner. So, there was no surprise that he was doing the triathlon; he looked like he would barely need to train! I was expecting him to say that he's doing the triathlon in honor of "ENTER FAMILY MEMBER HERE."

So, it came as a complete shock when he said he himself has a form of blood disease. He said he woke up one morning with some sort of rash on his arm. He went to the dermatologist and they said not to worry about it; it would probably clear up in a bit. Then, he went to another doctor a few months later and mentioned the rash on his arm that had not gone away. This second doctor took the rash more seriously and had some tests done. It was in fact a tumor, and not the only one. He saw a series of different doctors and hospitals, that recommended different "solutions." However, he was eventually told that his disease does not have a cure, so there is no real solution. They will only be able to treat his symptoms, which are upwards of 20 tumors in the upper arm and 15 tumors in the lower arm, all at the same time, one week before a race! The treatments vary; removal and radiation for the most part. An experimental drug trial once. There have been threats of amputation of his arm.

He told us this crazy story of his journey. And throughout all of it, during remission and in-between treatments, he has completed numerous athletic events through Team in Training. He is raising awareness and money towards an end of blood cancer. In addition to his awareness campaign and fundraising efforts, his work is developing treatments for blood cancer. He is a scientist who just received a research grant from LLS to develop a new drug for children with blood cancer. The drug will create a less invasive treatment, so children can still be children. They can still go to school, play with friends, keep their hair!

Other people in the room had honorees that have taken some of the drugs he helped develop. Amazing treatments that have prolonged the lives of many.

This man is a real-life superhero. I cannot believe all of the amazing things he has been able to accomplish in his life. It's a great example of one person's contribution and the amazingly large effect it can have on a greater audience. I am profoundly humbled by his endeavors and positive spirit.

If he can train and compete during radiation treatment, while also developing new treatments for blood cancer, then I can easily complete this one triathlon.

He will be a constant reminder of why I am here, of why I am doing this.

He will be a constant reminder that I need to be grateful for what I have and help others that have less.

Before every practice, they will send us a reminder of why we are doing this. It will be the story of a person we are directly benefiting by being here.

I realized that doing the triathlon partly is for myself- because I wanted to challenge myself and do something athletic like I'd never done before. But MORE importantly, it's for others- the ones who are affected by blood cancers.
For the loved ones who have forms of blood cancer and their bodies are not strong enough to get out there and do a triathlon. I will push my healthy body to do the things that they cannot because of this disease.

For the family members of these people, who will get to spend more time with their loved ones because of treatments that the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society are funding with my donations.
I will remember that I am doing this for all of the people out there who are affected by this disease. I will do it because I am able to and they are not.
I will train to TRI so they can SURVIVE! 

I am so grateful for all of the donations I have received so far! I have a long way to go with my fundraising goal. I want to share with you all an idea of where your money is going:

$5  Is the cost of sending a newly diagnosed patient information about their disease and how to get support.
$25  Provides lunch for one at Emerging Therapies, a regional blood cancer conference for patients and families.
$40  Is the cost of sending a comprehensive packet of information for children with cancer.
$50  Will send patients and survivors to Sacramento to lobby for relevant blood cancer legislation.
$100  Provides the Staying Connected Program to one classroom to help pediatric patients transition back to school after treatment.
$150  Allows five patients to make a First Connection with a trained peer volunteer.
$200  Funds one Family Support Group meeting of 5-25 participants.
$500  Provides 10 patients nationwide the ability to log on to a webcast and hear the latest information in treatment for their disease from a renowned oncologist or hematologist. 
$1,000 Supports the Information Resource Center to give patients information about blood cancers, treatment options and available clinical trials.
$2,500  Supports research to develop new targeted therapies to improve outcomes for patients with less harmful side effects than current treatments.

Every penny counts! Even $5 can make a difference. If you would like to make a donation, please follow my link below:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment