Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Newest Adventure!



I absolutely loved the Peace Corps. I learned so much about myself and about the people and culture of Burkina Faso. I did not blog on here as often as I would have liked, but that was due to my circumstances in village. I did not have electricity, so I was only able to blog when in large cities. My time in Burkina went by very quickly in the end, and I never had the chance to write about coming back home.  

I will admit that I was afraid to come back home. I was afraid of readjusting back to life in the states. I had become so used to the extremely simple, yet meaningful life I was living in my village. I knew that for me to successfully transition back into American life, I would need to really throw myself into it, headfirst. And that’s exactly what I did. While still living in village, I accepted a full-time, temporary position at the company I worked for before Peace Corps. I started working full-time only a few short days after returning home. I didn’t give myself any time to think about readjusting. I knew that if I did, I would miss Burkina more. I would stress out more about fitting back into American life. I would feel lost and confused. Starting work right away didn’t allow me any time to feel…well, anything. It was absolutely exhausting, but I somehow flipped a switch and went right back to being a typical, working American.

I’ve since accepted a full time position at the same company, working as a Training & Development Director. I’ve succeeded a little too much in what I once thought was ideal at the time of departing Burkina…I am a typical, working American now. Sometimes I work too much. After work, I often want to do nothing, but feel like I have so much to get done. I dream about travel. I dream about adventure. I need something more in my life. 

So, I signed up for my first Triathlon! A new challenge. A new period in my life. A new, healthy and happy me! Well, that is the goal at least. 

I am going to use this blog to share my experiences during this new adventure! I have never done a triathlon before. I’ve been exercising since I got home and eating somewhat well, but there have been maybe one too many burritos in my life! My body is going to be in shock and I’m sure I will have a lot of crazy stories along the way…they always seem to find their way into my life!

So, I hope you enjoy the chronicles of Hayley’s Adventures in Training! 

More to come soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment